Friday, April 6, 2012

Shabbat Shalom { From Monique Maas-Gibbons}

This week's Shabbat post comes from Monique Maas-Gibbons, a longtime JFS supporter and volunteer. We're excited to feature her today as she shares one of her favorite memories of celebrating Passover!

It has long been my family's tradition to have TONS of people for Seder. Over the years, I think my parents host an average of 40 people for second night Seder, and have always been generous about including people who don't have other places to go celebrate the holiday. I never thought much of the tradition of inviting people to join the celebration, even though it is clear from the Haggadah that inviting those in need is one of our obligations as Jews.

I was fortunate to attend Wellesley College, and as a native Californian, it was great having family in the area at whose home I could spend all the Jewish holidays. I never had to worry about where I was going to go for Pesach because I automatically assumed I would attend the Seder at my cousins' house, or if they weren't hosting, I would be included wherever they were invited...until my senior year. That year, my cousins decided they were going to visit my cousin's mother in Cleveland for Pesach. And the holiday didn't correlate with Spring Break, so I couldn't come home to Beverly Hills! I wasn't interested in going to the Wellesley Hillel - what was I going to do?

As I complained on the phone to my mom, she said "Well, let me call around." Half an hour later, I had a call from a woman who lived near Wellesley and who was a friend of a friend of a friend of my parents. This very nice lady invited me to share Seder with her and her family that year. So I gathered up my courage and went to a TOTAL stranger's house, where, to my surprise, I discovered that I was one of 70 people invited to the Seder! It had long been this family's custom to open their house to students in the area who were adrift like me. I think the family members numbered 5 people and the rest were students. 25 years later, it still stands out in my mind as one of the most rollicking Seders I have ever attended, with tons of delicious food, a great crowd and lots and lots of singing. It was a fabulous and generous and very loving atmosphere. This family really did embody the phrase: "Let all who are hungry come and eat..."

Chag Sameach!
Monique Maas-Gibbons

Monique and her family

And on behalf of Jewish Family Service, we wish you and your loved ones a very Happy Passover!

No comments:

Post a Comment