Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Volunteer Spotlight: Allen Edel!

From time to time, we have the opportunity to interview some of our valued JFS volunteers for a little Q&A about their role within the agency. Today, we are excited to share an interview with Allen Edel, who volunteers at JFS { Freda Mohr Multipurpose Center leading a special Current Events Discussion Class!


How long have you been volunteering with JFS?
I have been volunteering with JFS since April 2011 – almost a year and a half!

How did you originally come to get involved? Where did you hear about JFS?
I first became aware of JFS years ago when I was head of Public Affairs for the Jewish Community Relations Council in Sacramento. I had also been volunteering through Schools On Wheels as a tutor at a Womens Shelter run by JFS. I called JFS to ask how I could help, and was sent to talk to Susan Belgrade at the JFS { Freda Mohr Multipurpose Center. She was the one who suggested that I run the Current Events Discussion Group. Rebecca Kraemer, the Coordinator of Volunteer Services, then mentioned it to a staff member at the Pico Robertson Center and got me involved there as well.

Can you describe what you do as a volunteer?
Mostly, I present the topics for discussion, brief the group on the known facts, and get out of the way, only interfering to keep the discussions moving and orderly. Group members come from a rich diversity of backgrounds and bring a lifetime of experience to bear in formulating their opinions.

I am fascinated by their stories as well as their sometimes very original take on world events. Where possible, I try to bring in topics that have larger moral and political implications. For example, a recent discussion of one of the excised provisions of the Affordable Health Care Act that would have reimbursed doctors for family and patient discussions about end-of-life care (this was branded "death panels" by opponents) led to a very heartfelt discussion about the importance of quality of life, and the morality and need for assisted suicide.

I try to keep discussions lively, challenging and interactive. I want group members looking forward to our meetings as much as I do. I try to create discussions that are both intellectually and emotionally stimulating, and will sometimes play devil's advocate in order to engage and provoke. I try to get members interacting with one another. I think that friendships have developed over time within the groups.

I have only three rules. (1) I am the arbiter of facts. Opinions about the facts are free game for discussion, but facts themselves are inarguable. I do a lot of research before each group to make sure I get my facts straight, and am able to document good sources if challenged. When someone in the group posits a fact, I will always challenge the source. (2) Lashon harah (gossip) or ad hominem attacks are forbidden. That is, one may not insult another person in the group, or a person in the news. One may disagree with a person's actions or policies without castigating the person. I try to keep discussions civil, even on hot topics. (3) I do not give my personal opinions. While I am the authority on facts, I do not want to position myself as the authoritative opinion on a subject, because that might stymie discussion. All opinions are welcome.

What’s the best part about volunteering?
These seniors I work with are incredible people -- so interesting and diverse. I get to benefit from their cumulative wisdom developed over a lifetime of experience. How great is that!

Also, I'm a writer and I love to hear their life stories. I should probably keep the discussions more strictly to the topics at hand, but their stories are often engrossing.

No comments:

Post a Comment